Sunday, August 7, 2011

Millbrook's SJ and a Change of Course

With time comes clarity, but before that lets cover today's results. Running Order jumped very well, the time spent at HITS last week really payed off. It was very funny, in warm up I wanted Jess to keep putting the jumps up. They just seemed insufficiently small. Usually this isn't a problem, but when she replied, "um...their already big enough." I wasn't quite sure she was telling the truth. Then she reminded me that we were jumping a few holes higher last week.

So long story short, he jumped a very good clear round. We were the third in the ring. Unsure of the time allowed, we finished with 1 time penalty. Not a bad result at all being that there were not very many clean rounds in the division. RO just seems to get better and better each day.

On that note, I also decided following this weekend that it would be a better choice for me and RO to pass on the USEF grant and withdraw from Blenheim. He and I are still too green to confidently go over to try to win. Looking down the road, I need to get him to a point where he can be very competitive at Rolex in the spring. If I did go to Blenheim, it would be his final run of 2011. By skipping it, I can have 2-3 more horse trials and Fair Hill CCI*** this fall. Our tentative schedule would be Richland, the AEC's, Morven and Fair Hill. Of the listed events, Richland CIC*** is the only course he's seen before. (Helmet Cam from 2010) This would allow us to see a number of new courses, and number of new questions. He will be a better horse in the end for the experience.

There is really no need to push such a talented horse, the last thing I want to see is for it to blow up in my face and have him lose confidence. The added bonus is that it also gives time to head to more jumper and dressage shows. So on to Richland Park!!

-D

Today's show jumping video from Millbrook:

No comments:

Post a Comment