Sunday, May 2, 2010

MCTA

What a great weekend. First off courses at MCTA are fabulous. Everyone should stick it on their list for next year if the didn't attend this year. This was Running Order's first Advanced. It's a very funny feeling, I did my first advanced when I was 18 and it's been nearly 10 years since my last before this weekend. In some ways it was new all over again, but in others to say I'm better prepared this time around is an understatement of massive proportions.

In any case, it was Elvis' first and if you had told me 2 years ago when he came to me that we'd be at this point I'd ask what you were smoking. I was also coming into this weekend wondering, he's a freak of nature as far as his physical talents, but his consistent attention has been evasive. I think he'd be a great candidate for equine ridalin. Did I mention that I love this horse?...I do.

So my reservations came after FHI of 2 weeks ago. He jumped around clean without a problem, but he was not exactly attentive. At home this is solved by putting the jumps up 4 holes or so. That tends to sober him up. I was hoping the same was true of XC. Again, one of those things...you move up, and you just have to see how it goes. Long story short, dressage was good. Still room for improvement, I'd guess years down the road we could knock another 5-10 pts off the 30 we got this weekend. To my surprise we were winning after dressage. SJ was next, he jumped clean and very well. Off to XC...I have to say it was just about the best round I've had in my life. They were big enough that they got his attention and I could ride up to them without interfering. I really couldn't have asked for more. Sure there is still room to improve, without a doubt, but he was great! So we finished adding 9.2 time and winning by 21+ pts!! I certainly wouldn't expect similar results in the events to come, but hey...take it when you can get it!

As for the others, Tali was a bit distracted in dressage. Came away with a 33, had 1 rail, but jumped around XC much better than 2 weeks ago. It's very cool to see him growing up before our eyes. He's going to be a class horse in a few years time. Frolic was good this weekend. He's defiantly ready for his prelim debut. He got a 30 in dressage, 1 rail and jumped clear on XC. He should be in 5th...still working on a clerical error in scoring. Leroy was also very good this weekend. Only did a combined test with the Jersey Fresh CCI** next week. He got a 26 in dressage and jumped clear in SJ.

Check back for Jersey updates next week...Jogs are on Thursday dress on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment